From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Even confirmed carnivores will love this meatless chili because it's rib-sticking thick. If you like, add a dollop of low-fat sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt to each serving. Or try it with minced scallions and a little shredded Cheddar. In any case, have bottled hot red pepper sauce on hand to pass alongside.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, or cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, such as navy beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until very soft and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (or cayenne) to taste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in canned and fresh tomatoes, kidney, white and black beans, water and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili has reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 294 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 16 g fiber; 806 mg sodium; 777 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl