From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Even confirmed carnivores will love this meatless chili because it's rib-sticking thick. If you like, add a dollop of low-fat sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt to each serving. Or try it with minced scallions and a little shredded Cheddar. In any case, have bottled hot red pepper sauce on hand to pass alongside.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, or cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, such as navy beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until very soft and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (or cayenne) to taste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in canned and fresh tomatoes, kidney, white and black beans, water and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili has reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 294 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 16 g fiber; 806 mg sodium; 777 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl