From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Even confirmed carnivores will love this meatless chili because it's rib-sticking thick. If you like, add a dollop of low-fat sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt to each serving. Or try it with minced scallions and a little shredded Cheddar. In any case, have bottled hot red pepper sauce on hand to pass alongside.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, or cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, such as navy beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until very soft and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (or cayenne) to taste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in canned and fresh tomatoes, kidney, white and black beans, water and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili has reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 294 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 16 g fiber; 806 mg sodium; 777 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl