Muffin-Tin Crab Cakes
We've taken the frying and fuss out of crab cakes by shaping and baking them in muffin tins. For the best taste, look for pasteurized crabmeat in the refrigerator case at your market's fish counter, a better choice than canned varieties. Make It a Meal: Try these cakes with some tangy tartar sauce and coleslaw.
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Generously coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix crab, breadcrumbs, bell pepper, scallions, mayonnaise, eggs, egg white, hot sauce, celery salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups. Bake until crispy and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave or serve cold.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until a coarse crumb forms. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 183 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 124 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 96 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique