Muffin-Tin Crab Cakes
We've taken the frying and fuss out of crab cakes by shaping and baking them in muffin tins. For the best taste, look for pasteurized crabmeat in the refrigerator case at your market's fish counter, a better choice than canned varieties. Make It a Meal: Try these cakes with some tangy tartar sauce and coleslaw.
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Generously coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix crab, breadcrumbs, bell pepper, scallions, mayonnaise, eggs, egg white, hot sauce, celery salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups. Bake until crispy and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave or serve cold.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until a coarse crumb forms. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 183 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 124 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 96 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique