Muffin-Tin Crab Cakes
We've taken the frying and fuss out of crab cakes by shaping and baking them in muffin tins. For the best taste, look for pasteurized crabmeat in the refrigerator case at your market's fish counter, a better choice than canned varieties. Make It a Meal: Try these cakes with some tangy tartar sauce and coleslaw.
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Generously coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix crab, breadcrumbs, bell pepper, scallions, mayonnaise, eggs, egg white, hot sauce, celery salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups. Bake until crispy and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave or serve cold.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until a coarse crumb forms. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 183 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 124 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 96 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique