Mozzarella en Carrozza
Loosely translated as “mozzarella in a carriage,” Mozzarella en Carrozza is a fried mozzarella sandwich with a pungent anchovy-butter sauce. For this healthier rendition, we brown one side on the stovetop and finish the sandwich in a hot oven. The result: a crisp “carriage” and creamy, savory mozzarella filling. Enjoy with a glass of dry Italian white wine.
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon drained capers
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 1/2 -inch-thick slices Italian bread
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine mozzarella, mayonnaise, mustard, anchovies, capers and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mixture over 2 slices of bread. Top with the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Whisk egg and milk in a small shallow dish. Combine flour and cayenne in another small shallow dish. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and turn to coat, letting the excess drip off. Dredge lightly in flour and dip again in the egg mixture.
- Brush a heavy ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the underside is golden, about 1 minute. Turn the sandwiches over and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until golden and heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 335 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 112 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 786 mg sodium; 195 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (46% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less