Mozzarella en Carrozza
Loosely translated as “mozzarella in a carriage,” Mozzarella en Carrozza is a fried mozzarella sandwich with a pungent anchovy-butter sauce. For this healthier rendition, we brown one side on the stovetop and finish the sandwich in a hot oven. The result: a crisp “carriage” and creamy, savory mozzarella filling. Enjoy with a glass of dry Italian white wine.
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon drained capers
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 1/2 -inch-thick slices Italian bread
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine mozzarella, mayonnaise, mustard, anchovies, capers and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mixture over 2 slices of bread. Top with the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Whisk egg and milk in a small shallow dish. Combine flour and cayenne in another small shallow dish. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and turn to coat, letting the excess drip off. Dredge lightly in flour and dip again in the egg mixture.
- Brush a heavy ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the underside is golden, about 1 minute. Turn the sandwiches over and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until golden and heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 335 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 112 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 786 mg sodium; 195 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (46% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)