Mozzarella en Carrozza
Loosely translated as “mozzarella in a carriage,” Mozzarella en Carrozza is a fried mozzarella sandwich with a pungent anchovy-butter sauce. For this healthier rendition, we brown one side on the stovetop and finish the sandwich in a hot oven. The result: a crisp “carriage” and creamy, savory mozzarella filling. Enjoy with a glass of dry Italian white wine.
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon drained capers
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 1/2 -inch-thick slices Italian bread
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine mozzarella, mayonnaise, mustard, anchovies, capers and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mixture over 2 slices of bread. Top with the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Whisk egg and milk in a small shallow dish. Combine flour and cayenne in another small shallow dish. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and turn to coat, letting the excess drip off. Dredge lightly in flour and dip again in the egg mixture.
- Brush a heavy ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the underside is golden, about 1 minute. Turn the sandwiches over and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until golden and heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 335 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 112 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 786 mg sodium; 195 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (46% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less