Mozzarella en Carrozza
Loosely translated as “mozzarella in a carriage,” Mozzarella en Carrozza is a fried mozzarella sandwich with a pungent anchovy-butter sauce. For this healthier rendition, we brown one side on the stovetop and finish the sandwich in a hot oven. The result: a crisp “carriage” and creamy, savory mozzarella filling. Enjoy with a glass of dry Italian white wine.
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon drained capers
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 1/2 -inch-thick slices Italian bread
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine mozzarella, mayonnaise, mustard, anchovies, capers and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mixture over 2 slices of bread. Top with the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Whisk egg and milk in a small shallow dish. Combine flour and cayenne in another small shallow dish. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and turn to coat, letting the excess drip off. Dredge lightly in flour and dip again in the egg mixture.
- Brush a heavy ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the underside is golden, about 1 minute. Turn the sandwiches over and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until golden and heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 335 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 112 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 786 mg sodium; 195 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (46% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less