Mozzarella, Basil & Zucchini Frittata
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This vegetable-studded frittata recipe is one of the quickest meals you can make. Make it for breakfast, or serve for lunch or dinner with a tossed salad and a slice of olive oil-drizzled crusty baguette.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup pearl-size or baby fresh mozzarella balls (about 4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in a large broiler-safe nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the eggs over the vegetables in the pan. Cook, lifting the edges to allow uncooked egg from the middle to flow underneath, until nearly set, about 2 minutes. Arrange mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes on top and place the skillet under the broiler until the eggs are slightly browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Let stand for 3 minutes. Top with basil.
- To release the frittata from the pan, run a spatula around the edge, then underneath, until you can slide or lift it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into 4 slices and serve.
Per serving: 292 calories; 21 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 346 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 408 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Mother's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014