Mozzarella, Basil & Zucchini Frittata
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This vegetable-studded frittata recipe is one of the quickest meals you can make. Make it for breakfast, or serve for lunch or dinner with a tossed salad and a slice of olive oil-drizzled crusty baguette.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup pearl-size or baby fresh mozzarella balls (about 4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in a large broiler-safe nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the eggs over the vegetables in the pan. Cook, lifting the edges to allow uncooked egg from the middle to flow underneath, until nearly set, about 2 minutes. Arrange mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes on top and place the skillet under the broiler until the eggs are slightly browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Let stand for 3 minutes. Top with basil.
- To release the frittata from the pan, run a spatula around the edge, then underneath, until you can slide or lift it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into 4 slices and serve.
Per serving: 292 calories; 21 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 346 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 408 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Mother's Day
- July/August 2014