Moroccan-Rubbed Grilled Steak & Sweet Potatoes
A Moroccan-inspired spice rub coats the steaks and is tossed with the sweet potatoes as well. The foil-packet cooking method for the sweet potatoes yields excellent results (and fewer dishes). Make it a Meal: Sautéed greens, such as arugula, kale or spinach, and a glass of Zinfandel round out the meal.
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound strip steak, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 4 portions
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, (about 1 pound total), peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine allspice, cumin, ginger, salt, cinnamon, coriander and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle steaks with 4 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture. Toss sweet potatoes and onion with canola oil, orange zest and the remaining spice mixture.
- To make a packet, lay 2 24-inch sheets of foil on top of each other (the double layers will help protect the ingredients from burning); generously coat the top piece with cooking spray. Spread half of the sweet potato mixture in the center of the foil in a thin layer. Bring the short ends of foil together, fold over and pinch to seal. Pinch the seams together along the sides to seal the packet. Repeat with two more sheets of foil and the remaining sweet potato mixture.
- Place the packets on the hottest part of the grill and cook, switching the packets' positions on the grill halfway through cooking, 5 minutes per side. Place the steaks in the front or back and cook, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to plates and let rest while the packets finish cooking. Open the packets (be careful of steam) and serve alongside the steaks.
Per serving: 337 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 3 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 medium-fat meats, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient