Moroccan Lentil Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Like most soups, this healthy Moroccan lentil soup recipe gets better with time, so make it a day ahead if you can—or try our easy slow cooker/crock pot recipe variation.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 3/4 cups lentils
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; add onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender but not mushy, 45 to 55 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months; stir in cilantro and lemon juice just before serving.
Per serving: 152 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 618 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Folate (47% dv), Vitamin C (42% dv), Iron (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Type of Dish
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 2013