Moroccan Lentil Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Like most soups, this healthy Moroccan lentil soup recipe gets better with time, so make it a day ahead if you can—or try our easy slow cooker/crock pot recipe variation.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 3/4 cups lentils
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; add onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender but not mushy, 45 to 55 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months; stir in cilantro and lemon juice just before serving.
Per serving: 152 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 618 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Folate (47% dv), Vitamin C (42% dv), Iron (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013