Moroccan Lentil Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Like most soups, this healthy Moroccan lentil soup recipe gets better with time, so make it a day ahead if you can—or try our easy slow cooker/crock pot recipe variation.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 3/4 cups lentils
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; add onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender but not mushy, 45 to 55 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months; stir in cilantro and lemon juice just before serving.
Per serving: 152 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 618 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Folate (47% dv), Vitamin C (42% dv), Iron (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013