Moroccan-Citrus Chicken with Grilled Peach-Lime Salsa
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
A potent blend of citrus zests and juices along with a quartet of aromatic spices makes this healthy and quick chicken marinade recipe amazing. For this sweet and peppery salsa recipe, fresh peaches are caramelized on the grill before being diced and stirred together with chopped jalapeño, lime juice and zest plus a sprinkle of chopped fresh cilantro. Serve the salsa with the grilled chicken or with a basket of chips.
Marinade & Chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 to 4 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken parts (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed
- 1 pound peaches (about 3), halved and pitted
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To marinate chicken: Combine 2 tablespoons oil, orange zest, lemon zest, orange juice, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, cinnamon and cardamom in a large bowl.
- If using bone-in chicken breasts, cut each breast in half crosswise to make two portions; trim visible fat from the chicken and then add to the marinade, tossing to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours.
- To prepare salsa: Preheat a gas grill to medium or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Brush peach halves and onion slices with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill, turning once, until the peaches are marked and starting to soften, 6 to 7 minutes, and the onions are marked and tender, 10 to 11 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Chop the peaches and onions; transfer to a bowl. Stir in jalapeño, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- To grill chicken: If it’s not already lit, preheat the grill to 400°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess, and let stand at room temperature for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the chicken with the lid closed, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chicken registers 165°F, 28 to 30 minutes total for breast halves; 32 to 36 minutes for thighs and drumsticks.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate salsa for up to 2 days. Serve at room temperature.
- To oil the grill rack: Once the grill is heated, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the hot rack right before placing the chicken on the grill.
Per serving: 256 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 117 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 435 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (21% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014