Moroccan Chicken Kebabs
These North African-inspired kebabs are marinated for just 20 minutes in a vibrant blend of yogurt and spices. Served on a bed of couscous, they make a bright, exciting supper.
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small bell peppers, (red and/or yellow), cored, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- Stir together yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler. Blanch bell peppers in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh with cold water. Blanch zucchini for 1 minute. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Alternate chicken cubes, peppers and zucchini on skewers. Grill or broil the kebabs until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Metal or bamboo skewers (see Tip)
- When using wooden skewers, wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep them from burning. (Contrary to conventional wisdom, soaking skewers in water doesn't protect them.)
Per serving: 201 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 600 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (220% daily value), Vitamin A (90% dv), Potassium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)