Moroccan Chicken Kebabs
These North African-inspired kebabs are marinated for just 20 minutes in a vibrant blend of yogurt and spices. Served on a bed of couscous, they make a bright, exciting supper.
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small bell peppers, (red and/or yellow), cored, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- Stir together yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler. Blanch bell peppers in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh with cold water. Blanch zucchini for 1 minute. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Alternate chicken cubes, peppers and zucchini on skewers. Grill or broil the kebabs until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Metal or bamboo skewers (see Tip)
- When using wooden skewers, wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep them from burning. (Contrary to conventional wisdom, soaking skewers in water doesn't protect them.)
Per serving: 201 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 600 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (220% daily value), Vitamin A (90% dv), Potassium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Main Ingredient