Moroccan Chicken Kebabs
These North African-inspired kebabs are marinated for just 20 minutes in a vibrant blend of yogurt and spices. Served on a bed of couscous, they make a bright, exciting supper.
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small bell peppers, (red and/or yellow), cored, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- Stir together yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler. Blanch bell peppers in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh with cold water. Blanch zucchini for 1 minute. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Alternate chicken cubes, peppers and zucchini on skewers. Grill or broil the kebabs until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Metal or bamboo skewers (see Tip)
- When using wooden skewers, wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep them from burning. (Contrary to conventional wisdom, soaking skewers in water doesn't protect them.)
Per serving: 201 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 600 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (220% daily value), Vitamin A (90% dv), Potassium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Main Ingredient