Moravian Spice Cookies
The Moravian Settlement in Old Salem, North Carolina, is famous for its tins of crisp, spicy wafers very similar to these.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Add molasses, brown sugar and oil, stirring to melt the sugar. Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and baking soda to the bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating just until incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap; flatten it into a disk and wrap it up. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Divide the dough in half and rewrap the unused portion. Roll out the dough on a floured surface as thin as possible, less than 1/16 inch. Cut out cookies with a small (2-inch) cutter and place them about 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the cookies are crisp and just beginning to brown on the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough (Steps 1-3) can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before rolling. The baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Per cookie: 28 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation