Moravian Spice Cookies
The Moravian Settlement in Old Salem, North Carolina, is famous for its tins of crisp, spicy wafers very similar to these.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Add molasses, brown sugar and oil, stirring to melt the sugar. Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and baking soda to the bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating just until incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap; flatten it into a disk and wrap it up. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Divide the dough in half and rewrap the unused portion. Roll out the dough on a floured surface as thin as possible, less than 1/16 inch. Cut out cookies with a small (2-inch) cutter and place them about 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the cookies are crisp and just beginning to brown on the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough (Steps 1-3) can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before rolling. The baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Per cookie: 28 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation