Moravian Spice Cookies
The Moravian Settlement in Old Salem, North Carolina, is famous for its tins of crisp, spicy wafers very similar to these.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Add molasses, brown sugar and oil, stirring to melt the sugar. Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and baking soda to the bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating just until incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap; flatten it into a disk and wrap it up. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Divide the dough in half and rewrap the unused portion. Roll out the dough on a floured surface as thin as possible, less than 1/16 inch. Cut out cookies with a small (2-inch) cutter and place them about 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the cookies are crisp and just beginning to brown on the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough (Steps 1-3) can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before rolling. The baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Per cookie: 28 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique