Moravian Spice Cookies
The Moravian Settlement in Old Salem, North Carolina, is famous for its tins of crisp, spicy wafers very similar to these.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Add molasses, brown sugar and oil, stirring to melt the sugar. Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and baking soda to the bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating just until incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap; flatten it into a disk and wrap it up. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Divide the dough in half and rewrap the unused portion. Roll out the dough on a floured surface as thin as possible, less than 1/16 inch. Cut out cookies with a small (2-inch) cutter and place them about 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the cookies are crisp and just beginning to brown on the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough (Steps 1-3) can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before rolling. The baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Per cookie: 28 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more