Moo Shu Vegetables
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This vegetarian version of the classic Chinese stir-fry, Moo Shu, uses already-shredded vegetables to cut down on the prep time. Serve with warm whole-wheat tortillas, Asian hot sauce and extra hoisin if desired.
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 12-ounce bag shredded mixed vegetables, such as “rainbow salad” or “broccoli slaw”
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, (see Shopping Tip)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, stirring gently, until set, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan and heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, 1 minute. Add shredded vegetables, bean sprouts, half the sliced scallions, soy sauce and vinegar. Stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved eggs and hoisin; cook, uncovered, stirring and breaking up the scrambled eggs, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining scallions and remove from the heat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping tip: Hoisin sauce is a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket and in Asian markets.
Per serving: 171 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 328 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008