Moo Shu Vegetables
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This vegetarian version of the classic Chinese stir-fry, Moo Shu, uses already-shredded vegetables to cut down on the prep time. Serve with warm whole-wheat tortillas, Asian hot sauce and extra hoisin if desired.
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 12-ounce bag shredded mixed vegetables, such as “rainbow salad” or “broccoli slaw”
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, (see Shopping Tip)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, stirring gently, until set, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan and heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, 1 minute. Add shredded vegetables, bean sprouts, half the sliced scallions, soy sauce and vinegar. Stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved eggs and hoisin; cook, uncovered, stirring and breaking up the scrambled eggs, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining scallions and remove from the heat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping tip: Hoisin sauce is a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket and in Asian markets.
Per serving: 171 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 328 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008