Moo Shu Vegetables
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This vegetarian version of the classic Chinese stir-fry, Moo Shu, uses already-shredded vegetables to cut down on the prep time. Serve with warm whole-wheat tortillas, Asian hot sauce and extra hoisin if desired.
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 12-ounce bag shredded mixed vegetables, such as “rainbow salad” or “broccoli slaw”
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, (see Shopping Tip)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, stirring gently, until set, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan and heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, 1 minute. Add shredded vegetables, bean sprouts, half the sliced scallions, soy sauce and vinegar. Stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved eggs and hoisin; cook, uncovered, stirring and breaking up the scrambled eggs, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining scallions and remove from the heat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping tip: Hoisin sauce is a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket and in Asian markets.
Per serving: 171 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 328 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 2008