If you're not familiar with the Monte Cristo sandwich, think of it as a cross between a ham-and-cheese sandwich and deep-fried French toast. It's especially tasty with the currant or raspberry jam it's usually served with. We forgo the deep frying for a quick turn in a skillet with a bit of oil until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 8 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 4 thin slices roasted deli turkey, (about 4 ounces)
- 4 thin slices deli ham, (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Whisk egg, egg whites, milk and nutmeg in a shallow dish until combined.
- Spread 1 teaspoon jam on each slice of bread. Divide turkey, ham and cheese evenly among 4 slices. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread, jam-side down.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Dip 2 sandwiches into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place the battered sandwiches in the pan, cover and cook until browned and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches. Serve warm.
Per serving: 355 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less