If you're not familiar with the Monte Cristo sandwich, think of it as a cross between a ham-and-cheese sandwich and deep-fried French toast. It's especially tasty with the currant or raspberry jam it's usually served with. We forgo the deep frying for a quick turn in a skillet with a bit of oil until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 8 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 4 thin slices roasted deli turkey, (about 4 ounces)
- 4 thin slices deli ham, (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Whisk egg, egg whites, milk and nutmeg in a shallow dish until combined.
- Spread 1 teaspoon jam on each slice of bread. Divide turkey, ham and cheese evenly among 4 slices. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread, jam-side down.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Dip 2 sandwiches into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place the battered sandwiches in the pan, cover and cook until browned and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches. Serve warm.
Per serving: 355 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less