If you're not familiar with the Monte Cristo sandwich, think of it as a cross between a ham-and-cheese sandwich and deep-fried French toast. It's especially tasty with the currant or raspberry jam it's usually served with. We forgo the deep frying for a quick turn in a skillet with a bit of oil until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 8 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 4 thin slices roasted deli turkey, (about 4 ounces)
- 4 thin slices deli ham, (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Whisk egg, egg whites, milk and nutmeg in a shallow dish until combined.
- Spread 1 teaspoon jam on each slice of bread. Divide turkey, ham and cheese evenly among 4 slices. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread, jam-side down.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Dip 2 sandwiches into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place the battered sandwiches in the pan, cover and cook until browned and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches. Serve warm.
Per serving: 355 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient