If you're not familiar with the Monte Cristo sandwich, think of it as a cross between a ham-and-cheese sandwich and deep-fried French toast. It's especially tasty with the currant or raspberry jam it's usually served with. We forgo the deep frying for a quick turn in a skillet with a bit of oil until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 8 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 4 thin slices roasted deli turkey, (about 4 ounces)
- 4 thin slices deli ham, (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Whisk egg, egg whites, milk and nutmeg in a shallow dish until combined.
- Spread 1 teaspoon jam on each slice of bread. Divide turkey, ham and cheese evenly among 4 slices. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread, jam-side down.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Dip 2 sandwiches into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place the battered sandwiches in the pan, cover and cook until browned and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches. Serve warm.
Per serving: 355 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient