If you're not familiar with the Monte Cristo sandwich, think of it as a cross between a ham-and-cheese sandwich and deep-fried French toast. It's especially tasty with the currant or raspberry jam it's usually served with. We forgo the deep frying for a quick turn in a skillet with a bit of oil until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 8 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 4 thin slices roasted deli turkey, (about 4 ounces)
- 4 thin slices deli ham, (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Whisk egg, egg whites, milk and nutmeg in a shallow dish until combined.
- Spread 1 teaspoon jam on each slice of bread. Divide turkey, ham and cheese evenly among 4 slices. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread, jam-side down.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Dip 2 sandwiches into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place the battered sandwiches in the pan, cover and cook until browned and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches. Serve warm.
Per serving: 355 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (50% daily value), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less