Molasses-Glazed Pork with Sweet Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Pull out the roasting pan for a hearty old-fashioned supper like Grandma used to make.
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons molasses, divided
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 3/4-pound pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 10-ounce package frozen whole okra
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the side of a chef's knife. Transfer to a large shallow dish. Stir in 2 tablespoons molasses, 2 tablespoons lime juice, cumin and pepper to taste. Add pork and coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Whisk broth, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses, 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice and oil in a 10-by-14-inch roasting pan. Add onions, sweet potatoes, okra and thyme; season with salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake the vegetables until sweet potatoes begin to soften, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to sides of the pan. Place the pork in center and pour any remaining marinade over it. Roast, uncovered, until just a trace of pink remains in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 155°F, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly on the diagonal. Serve with the vegetables.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The pork can be marinated overnight.
Per serving: 286 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 285 mg sodium; 872 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1999