From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Prunes add fiber to these moist, rich molasses cookies.
- 5 pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten with a fork
- Set oven rack in center of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Cover prunes with hot water in a small bowl; let steep for 5 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the prunes and steeping liquid in a food processor and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the sugar, oil and molasses; blend well. Add to the dry ingredients, along with egg whites, and stir just to combine.
- Place a few spoonfuls of sugar in a shallow dish. Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. With the palm of your hand, gently flatten balls to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, until the bottoms are browned and tops are crackled, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per cookie: 55 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994