From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Prunes add fiber to these moist, rich molasses cookies.
- 5 pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten with a fork
- Set oven rack in center of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Cover prunes with hot water in a small bowl; let steep for 5 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the prunes and steeping liquid in a food processor and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the sugar, oil and molasses; blend well. Add to the dry ingredients, along with egg whites, and stir just to combine.
- Place a few spoonfuls of sugar in a shallow dish. Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. With the palm of your hand, gently flatten balls to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, until the bottoms are browned and tops are crackled, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per cookie: 55 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994