From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Prunes add fiber to these moist, rich molasses cookies.
- 5 pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten with a fork
- Set oven rack in center of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Cover prunes with hot water in a small bowl; let steep for 5 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the prunes and steeping liquid in a food processor and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the sugar, oil and molasses; blend well. Add to the dry ingredients, along with egg whites, and stir just to combine.
- Place a few spoonfuls of sugar in a shallow dish. Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. With the palm of your hand, gently flatten balls to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, until the bottoms are browned and tops are crackled, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per cookie: 55 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994