From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Prunes add fiber to these moist, rich molasses cookies.
- 5 pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten with a fork
- Set oven rack in center of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Cover prunes with hot water in a small bowl; let steep for 5 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the prunes and steeping liquid in a food processor and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the sugar, oil and molasses; blend well. Add to the dry ingredients, along with egg whites, and stir just to combine.
- Place a few spoonfuls of sugar in a shallow dish. Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. With the palm of your hand, gently flatten balls to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, until the bottoms are browned and tops are crackled, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per cookie: 55 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994