Traditionally, ceviche is raw fish that's “cooked” by marinating it in acidic citrus juice. Here we quickly poach the tilapia then marinate it with fresh herbs, lime juice and crunchy vegetables for an easy summer dinner. Make it a meal: Serve with warm corn tortillas.
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced white onion
- 1/4 cup quartered green olives
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Place tilapia in a medium skillet. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place jalapeño to taste in a small bowl and whisk in lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, oregano and salt. Transfer the tilapia to a large, shallow, nonreactive dish with a slotted spoon and pour the lime juice mixture over the top. Add bell pepper, tomato, onion and olives; gently mix to combine. (It’s OK if the tilapia breaks apart.) Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and avocado just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 236 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 5 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 831 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Folate (22% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood