Traditionally, ceviche is raw fish that's “cooked” by marinating it in acidic citrus juice. Here we quickly poach the tilapia then marinate it with fresh herbs, lime juice and crunchy vegetables for an easy summer dinner. Make it a meal: Serve with warm corn tortillas.
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced white onion
- 1/4 cup quartered green olives
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Place tilapia in a medium skillet. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place jalapeño to taste in a small bowl and whisk in lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, oregano and salt. Transfer the tilapia to a large, shallow, nonreactive dish with a slotted spoon and pour the lime juice mixture over the top. Add bell pepper, tomato, onion and olives; gently mix to combine. (It’s OK if the tilapia breaks apart.) Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and avocado just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 236 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 5 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 831 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Folate (22% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient