Traditionally, ceviche is raw fish that's “cooked” by marinating it in acidic citrus juice. Here we quickly poach the tilapia then marinate it with fresh herbs, lime juice and crunchy vegetables for an easy summer dinner. Make it a meal: Serve with warm corn tortillas.
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced white onion
- 1/4 cup quartered green olives
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Place tilapia in a medium skillet. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place jalapeño to taste in a small bowl and whisk in lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, oregano and salt. Transfer the tilapia to a large, shallow, nonreactive dish with a slotted spoon and pour the lime juice mixture over the top. Add bell pepper, tomato, onion and olives; gently mix to combine. (It’s OK if the tilapia breaks apart.) Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and avocado just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 236 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 5 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 831 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Folate (22% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient