Traditionally, ceviche is raw fish that's “cooked” by marinating it in acidic citrus juice. Here we quickly poach the tilapia then marinate it with fresh herbs, lime juice and crunchy vegetables for an easy summer dinner. Make it a meal: Serve with warm corn tortillas.
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced white onion
- 1/4 cup quartered green olives
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Place tilapia in a medium skillet. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place jalapeño to taste in a small bowl and whisk in lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, oregano and salt. Transfer the tilapia to a large, shallow, nonreactive dish with a slotted spoon and pour the lime juice mixture over the top. Add bell pepper, tomato, onion and olives; gently mix to combine. (It’s OK if the tilapia breaks apart.) Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and avocado just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 236 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 5 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 831 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Folate (22% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient