EatingWell Frozen Mochaccino
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
If you lust after those frothy frozen coffee drinks at your local coffee shop, then this mochaccino recipe is for you. This easy homemade version uses low-fat milk, cocoa powder, coffee and just a little bit of maple syrup, so it has a fraction of the calories of a traditional version. (A small mocha frappuccino at Starbucks is 270 calories!) Coffee ice cubes, made by freezing coffee in an ice cube tray, make this drink frosty and give it a big, strong coffee flavor. Recipe by Joyce Hendley for EatingWell.
- 1 cup double-strength brewed coffee or espresso (see Tip)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-process), plus more for sprinkling
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 ice cubes, if needed
- Freeze coffee in an ice cube tray until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Combine the frozen coffee cubes, milk, cocoa, maple syrup to taste and vanilla in a blender. Pulse until smooth, adding plain ice cubes if you want it thicker or a little water if you want it thinner. Divide between 2 glasses, dust with a little cocoa powder, if desired, and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Ice cube tray
- Tip: Double-strength coffee or espresso gives you the best coffee flavor when making blended or iced coffee drinks. If the coffee isn’t strong enough, the drink will taste watered-down. To brew double-strength coffee, use twice the amount of grounds as you normally would for a regular cup of coffee. Espresso is strong enough brewed regularly.
Per serving: 127 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 73 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (35% daily value), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 reduced fat milk, 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2011