EatingWell Frozen Mochaccino
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
If you lust after those frothy frozen coffee drinks at your local coffee shop, then this mochaccino recipe is for you. This easy homemade version uses low-fat milk, cocoa powder, coffee and just a little bit of maple syrup, so it has a fraction of the calories of a traditional version. (A small mocha frappuccino at Starbucks is 270 calories!) Coffee ice cubes, made by freezing coffee in an ice cube tray, make this drink frosty and give it a big, strong coffee flavor. Recipe by Joyce Hendley for EatingWell.
- 1 cup double-strength brewed coffee or espresso (see Tip)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-process), plus more for sprinkling
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 ice cubes, if needed
- Freeze coffee in an ice cube tray until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Combine the frozen coffee cubes, milk, cocoa, maple syrup to taste and vanilla in a blender. Pulse until smooth, adding plain ice cubes if you want it thicker or a little water if you want it thinner. Divide between 2 glasses, dust with a little cocoa powder, if desired, and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Ice cube tray
- Tip: Double-strength coffee or espresso gives you the best coffee flavor when making blended or iced coffee drinks. If the coffee isn’t strong enough, the drink will taste watered-down. To brew double-strength coffee, use twice the amount of grounds as you normally would for a regular cup of coffee. Espresso is strong enough brewed regularly.
Per serving: 127 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 73 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (35% daily value), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 reduced fat milk, 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2011