EatingWell Frozen Mochaccino
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
If you lust after those frothy frozen coffee drinks at your local coffee shop, then this mochaccino recipe is for you. This easy homemade version uses low-fat milk, cocoa powder, coffee and just a little bit of maple syrup, so it has a fraction of the calories of a traditional version. (A small mocha frappuccino at Starbucks is 270 calories!) Coffee ice cubes, made by freezing coffee in an ice cube tray, make this drink frosty and give it a big, strong coffee flavor. Recipe by Joyce Hendley for EatingWell.
- 1 cup double-strength brewed coffee or espresso (see Tip)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-process), plus more for sprinkling
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 ice cubes, if needed
- Freeze coffee in an ice cube tray until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Combine the frozen coffee cubes, milk, cocoa, maple syrup to taste and vanilla in a blender. Pulse until smooth, adding plain ice cubes if you want it thicker or a little water if you want it thinner. Divide between 2 glasses, dust with a little cocoa powder, if desired, and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Ice cube tray
- Tip: Double-strength coffee or espresso gives you the best coffee flavor when making blended or iced coffee drinks. If the coffee isn’t strong enough, the drink will taste watered-down. To brew double-strength coffee, use twice the amount of grounds as you normally would for a regular cup of coffee. Espresso is strong enough brewed regularly.
Per serving: 127 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 73 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (35% daily value), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 reduced fat milk, 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2011