Mocha Ice Cream Pie
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
In this healthy mocha chocolate ice cream pie recipe, crumbled chocolate cookies make an easy and tasty crust for the chocolate-coffee filling made with nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt topped with chocolate-covered espresso beans.
- 2 cups coarsely crumbled chocolate snap cookies (see Tip)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
Filling & Topping
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso or coffee powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped
- To prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Process cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add oil and process until well combined. Using your fingertips or the back of a spoon, press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake until just set, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Whip cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until starting to thicken. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in yogurt.
- Combine water, cocoa powder and espresso (or coffee) powder in a small bowl; stir until the powders are dissolved. Gently fold the cocoa-espresso mixture into the yogurt-cream mixture.
- Spread the flavored yogurt-cream mixture into the cooled crust. Top with chocolate-covered espresso beans. Freeze until very firm, at least 5 hours. To serve, let the pie stand at room temperature until softened slightly, about 15 minutes, before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Once frozen, wrap airtight and freeze for up to 1 week. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
- For a healthier cookie crust, choose cookie brands without any partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats). We like Mi-Del ginger and chocolate snaps. Look for them in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets and at natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 289 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 18 g added sugars; 20 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 78 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014