From EatingWell: November/December 1992
In this pretty marbled cookie, one half of the dough is almond-flavored like the traditional biscotti di Prato, and the other half is chocolate/coffee flavored.
- 1/2 cup whole unblanched almonds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread almonds on a second baking sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites and vanilla in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients; mix just until smooth.
- Combine cocoa, instant coffee and water in a small bowl. Divide the dough in half. Add the cocoa mixture and melted chocolate to one half. Mix just until incorporated. Stir almond extract and the almonds into the other half.
- Place half of the almond dough on a well-floured work surface. Pat into a 4-by-8-inch rectangle. Top with half of the chocolate dough. Roll up into a cylinder, then roll the cylinder back and forth to form a 14-by-1 1/2 inch log. Repeat with the remaining doughs. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet. Bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 50 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 18 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992