Mixed Lettuce, Fennel & Orange Salad with Black Olive Vinaigrette
This colorful salad offers a symphony of flavors and textures. Savory black olives, sweet orange slices and crisp, licorice-flavored fennel balance the slightly bitter tastes of chicory, radicchio and Belgian endive.
Black olive vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 medium navel or Valencia oranges
- 10 cups mixed lettuces, (3 small heads), such as chicory, radicchio and leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 heads Belgian endive, sliced
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and sliced
- To prepare vinaigrette: Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Stir in olives and parsley.
- To prepare salad: Using a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from oranges. Quarter the oranges; slice pieces crosswise.
- Just before serving, combine lettuces, endive, fennel and the orange slices in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Washed, dried lettuce will keep in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. Keep prepared oranges and fennel in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 167 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 9 g fiber; 274 mg sodium; 958 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 100% dv Vitamin A, 58 mg Vitamin C (100% dv), 296 mcg Folate (74% dv), 30% dv Fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation