Mixed Greens with Berries & Honey-Glazed Hazelnuts
For a sophisticated starter, try this colorful salad, which marries fresh berries, caramelized nuts and tangy feta cheese. Pureed berries form the base of the dressing, giving it a velvety texture and rich flavor.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts
- 1/3 cup raspberries, blackberries and/or blueberries
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 10 cups mesclun salad greens, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup blackberries, raspberries and/or blueberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, or goat cheese (4 ounces)
- To prepare nuts: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray. Combine oil and honey in a small bowl. Add nuts and toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake, stirring from time to time, until golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To prepare dressing: Combine berries, oil, vinegar, water, mustard, garlic, honey, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in shallots.
- To prepare salad: Just before serving, place greens in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the greens and toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Scatter berries, cheese and the glazed nuts over each salad; serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dresing (Step 2) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 232 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 349 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique