Mixed Greens with Berries & Honey-Glazed Hazelnuts
For a sophisticated starter, try this colorful salad, which marries fresh berries, caramelized nuts and tangy feta cheese. Pureed berries form the base of the dressing, giving it a velvety texture and rich flavor.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts
- 1/3 cup raspberries, blackberries and/or blueberries
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 10 cups mesclun salad greens, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup blackberries, raspberries and/or blueberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, or goat cheese (4 ounces)
- To prepare nuts: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray. Combine oil and honey in a small bowl. Add nuts and toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake, stirring from time to time, until golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To prepare dressing: Combine berries, oil, vinegar, water, mustard, garlic, honey, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in shallots.
- To prepare salad: Just before serving, place greens in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the greens and toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Scatter berries, cheese and the glazed nuts over each salad; serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dresing (Step 2) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 232 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 349 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique