Mixed Greens with Berries & Honey-Glazed Hazelnuts
For a sophisticated starter, try this colorful salad, which marries fresh berries, caramelized nuts and tangy feta cheese. Pureed berries form the base of the dressing, giving it a velvety texture and rich flavor.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts
- 1/3 cup raspberries, blackberries and/or blueberries
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 10 cups mesclun salad greens, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup blackberries, raspberries and/or blueberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, or goat cheese (4 ounces)
- To prepare nuts: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray. Combine oil and honey in a small bowl. Add nuts and toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake, stirring from time to time, until golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To prepare dressing: Combine berries, oil, vinegar, water, mustard, garlic, honey, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in shallots.
- To prepare salad: Just before serving, place greens in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the greens and toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Scatter berries, cheese and the glazed nuts over each salad; serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dresing (Step 2) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 232 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 349 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique