Mixed Greens & Oranges with Balsamic Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Orange zest and juice are whisked with balsamic vinegar to dress this salad of arugula, oranges, romaine and red onion.
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 small navel oranges
- 2 bunches arugula, or watercress, stemmed, washed and dried (about 4 cups)
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn (about 4 cups)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Whisk together orange zest and juice, balsamic vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the oil until well blended.
- Remove the rind and white pith from the oranges with a very sharp knife and discard. Slice oranges thinly, or remove the individual segments by slicing between the membranes. Halve the orange slices if they are large. Toss the arugula and romaine together in a shallow salad bowl. Separate the onion slices into rings. Scatter the onions and oranges over the greens. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 68 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value), Vitamin C (74% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 1993