Mixed Greens & Oranges with Balsamic Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Orange zest and juice are whisked with balsamic vinegar to dress this salad of arugula, oranges, romaine and red onion.
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 small navel oranges
- 2 bunches arugula, or watercress, stemmed, washed and dried (about 4 cups)
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn (about 4 cups)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Whisk together orange zest and juice, balsamic vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the oil until well blended.
- Remove the rind and white pith from the oranges with a very sharp knife and discard. Slice oranges thinly, or remove the individual segments by slicing between the membranes. Halve the orange slices if they are large. Toss the arugula and romaine together in a shallow salad bowl. Separate the onion slices into rings. Scatter the onions and oranges over the greens. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 68 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value), Vitamin C (74% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 1993