Mixed Green Salad with Chive Dressing
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Mustard, vinegar and chives bring their lively flavors to this simple salad.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, or chopped scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups washed and torn salad greens
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup low-fat croutons
- To make dressing: Combine oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar in a small glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add water and shake until smooth. Add chives (or scallion greens) and season with salt and pepper; shake again.
- To make the salad: Just before serving, toss salad greens with the dressing in a large salad bowl. Arrange carrots, cucumbers and croutons on top.
Per serving: 129 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 308 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 1996