Mixed Berry-Almond Gratin
How simple and delicious are berries topped with a rich custard and baked into a crusty dessert (or breakfast) gratin. No one will ever guess that you've replaced much of the butter in traditional almond cream with tofu.
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, (1 1/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, or
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup firm silken low-fat tofu
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 cups mixed berries, such as raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1-quart gratin dish or a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Spread almonds in a shallow baking pan and bake until light golden and fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool.
- Place sugar (or Splenda), flour, salt and almonds in a food processor; process until finely ground. Add egg, tofu, butter and almond extract; process until smooth.
- Spread berries evenly in the prepared gratin dish. Scrape the almond mixture over the top, spreading evenly.
- Bake the gratin until light golden and set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 195 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per serving with Splenda:138 calories, 16 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation