Mixed Berry-Almond Gratin
How simple and delicious are berries topped with a rich custard and baked into a crusty dessert (or breakfast) gratin. No one will ever guess that you've replaced much of the butter in traditional almond cream with tofu.
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, (1 1/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, or
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup firm silken low-fat tofu
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 cups mixed berries, such as raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1-quart gratin dish or a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Spread almonds in a shallow baking pan and bake until light golden and fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool.
- Place sugar (or Splenda), flour, salt and almonds in a food processor; process until finely ground. Add egg, tofu, butter and almond extract; process until smooth.
- Spread berries evenly in the prepared gratin dish. Scrape the almond mixture over the top, spreading evenly.
- Bake the gratin until light golden and set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 195 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per serving with Splenda:138 calories, 16 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)