Mixed Berry-Almond Gratin
How simple and delicious are berries topped with a rich custard and baked into a crusty dessert (or breakfast) gratin. No one will ever guess that you've replaced much of the butter in traditional almond cream with tofu.
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, (1 1/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, or
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup firm silken low-fat tofu
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 cups mixed berries, such as raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1-quart gratin dish or a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Spread almonds in a shallow baking pan and bake until light golden and fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool.
- Place sugar (or Splenda), flour, salt and almonds in a food processor; process until finely ground. Add egg, tofu, butter and almond extract; process until smooth.
- Spread berries evenly in the prepared gratin dish. Scrape the almond mixture over the top, spreading evenly.
- Bake the gratin until light golden and set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 195 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per serving with Splenda:138 calories, 16 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit