Mississippi Spiced Pecans
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Make plenty of these mildly sweet and salty nuts—they are great to have on hand over the holidays.
- 1 pound pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon piment d'Espelette, (see Tip) or a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread pecans on a large baking sheet. Roast until fragrant, about 12 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- Combine brown sugar, salt, thyme, rosemary, pepper and piment d’Espelette (or cayenne) in a small bowl. Transfer the roasted pecans to a large bowl, drizzle with oil and toss well to coat completely. Sprinkle with the spice mixture and toss again. Serve warm or let cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: Piment d'Espelette is a sweet, mildly spicy chile pepper from the Basque region of France, ground into a powder. Find it online at spanishtable.com.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 107 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- November/December 2007