Mississippi Spiced Pecans
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Make plenty of these mildly sweet and salty nuts—they are great to have on hand over the holidays.
- 1 pound pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon piment d'Espelette, (see Tip) or a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread pecans on a large baking sheet. Roast until fragrant, about 12 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- Combine brown sugar, salt, thyme, rosemary, pepper and piment d’Espelette (or cayenne) in a small bowl. Transfer the roasted pecans to a large bowl, drizzle with oil and toss well to coat completely. Sprinkle with the spice mixture and toss again. Serve warm or let cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: Piment d'Espelette is a sweet, mildly spicy chile pepper from the Basque region of France, ground into a powder. Find it online at spanishtable.com.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 107 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- November/December 2007