Miso Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Tofu, rice and plenty of vegetables transform miso soup from a light accompaniment into a dish that's substantial enough to leave you feeling satisfied.
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- 2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables, (see Note)
- 1 12-ounce package extra-firm silken tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons miso, (see Note)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, or to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- Bring 2 cups water and rice to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the rice is just tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add stir-fry vegetables to the pot, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook until the vegetables are heated through, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine miso and the remaining 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Add the miso mixture, scallions, vinegar and sugar to the soup and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Notes: Stir-fry vegetables: Frozen bagged mixes of cut vegetables are appropriate for a stir fry. We prefer Seapoint Farms brand stir-fry mixes because they include the best variety of vegetables (often including shelled edamame) and they taste delicious. They are available in large supermarkets and natural foods stores.
- The color of miso (fermented soybean paste) depends on how long it's aged. In general, the lighter the color, the milder the flavor. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for more than a year.
Per serving: 210 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 803 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two