Miso Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Tofu, rice and plenty of vegetables transform miso soup from a light accompaniment into a dish that's substantial enough to leave you feeling satisfied.
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- 2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables, (see Note)
- 1 12-ounce package extra-firm silken tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons miso, (see Note)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, or to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- Bring 2 cups water and rice to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the rice is just tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add stir-fry vegetables to the pot, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook until the vegetables are heated through, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine miso and the remaining 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Add the miso mixture, scallions, vinegar and sugar to the soup and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Notes: Stir-fry vegetables: Frozen bagged mixes of cut vegetables are appropriate for a stir fry. We prefer Seapoint Farms brand stir-fry mixes because they include the best variety of vegetables (often including shelled edamame) and they taste delicious. They are available in large supermarkets and natural foods stores.
- The color of miso (fermented soybean paste) depends on how long it's aged. In general, the lighter the color, the milder the flavor. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for more than a year.
Per serving: 210 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 803 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two