Miso-Glazed Tofu with Cabbage & Peppers
Roasting fresh vegetables and tofu with a gingery Asian marinade makes a comforting one-dish winter meal. Be sure to schedule enough time for the tofu to marinate before roasting.
- 3 tablespoons mirin, or dry sherry (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons miso, preferably dark (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 1 small green cabbage, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk mirin (or sherry), miso, ginger, lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar, chile-garlic sauce and oil in a small bowl until blended. Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Cut the block into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Arrange the tofu slices in a single layer in a shallow nonreactive pan; pour 1/3 cup of the marinade over it, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch roasting pan with cooking spray. Arrange cabbage wedges, cut-side down, in 2 rows. Scatter bell peppers around the cabbage. Sprinkle with scallions. Pour the remaining marinade over the vegetables. Cover tightly with foil. Bake the vegetables until tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
- When the vegetables are tender, overlap the tofu slices in the center of the pan and baste with any pan juices. Roast, uncovered, until the tofu is heated through, 12 to 15 minutes more. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Mirin is a sweet, low-alcohol rice wine essential in Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with the Asian or gourmet ingredients.
- Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- Miso is fermented soybean paste made by inoculating a mixture of soybeans, salt and grains (usually barley or rice) with koji, a beneficial mold. Aged for up to 3 years, miso is undeniably salty, but a little goes a long way. Akamiso (red miso), made from barley or rice and soybeans, is salty and tangy, and the most commonly used miso in Japan. Use in marinades for meat and oily fish, and in long-simmered dishes. Shiromiso (sweet or white miso), made with soy and rice, is yellow and milder in flavor; use for soup, salad dressings and sauces for fish or chicken.
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 304 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 11 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 917 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (406% daily value), Vitamin A (58% dv), Fiber (45% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Folate & Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate (?), 4 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy