From EatingWell: July/August 1998
Asian flavors unite in perfect harmony in this tangy marinade.
- 1/3 cup mirin, or medium-dry sherry (see Note)
- 1/4 cup miso, (see Note)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine mirin (or sherry), miso, ginger, lemon juice, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl. Use 1/2 cup to marinate salmon, shrimp, chicken or eggplant. Reserve remaining marinade for basting.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- Miso is fermented soybean paste made by inoculating a mixture of soybeans, salt and grains (usually barley or rice) with koji, a beneficial mold. Aged for up to 3 years, miso is undeniably salty, but a little goes a long way.
Per teaspoon: 10 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- July/August 1998