Minted Peas & Shallots
Peas are high in fiber and a good source of other nutrients. They're also one of our favorite harbingers of spring. Whether you shell your own straight from the garden or go for the convenience of frozen, these sweet minted peas are a celebration of the earth turning green again.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to color, about 3 minutes. Stir in peas, broth and sugar. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the peas are just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in mint and butter. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: One pound of peas in the pod yields 1 cup of shelled peas.
Per serving: 141 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv),
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation