Minted Peas & Shallots
Peas are high in fiber and a good source of other nutrients. They're also one of our favorite harbingers of spring. Whether you shell your own straight from the garden or go for the convenience of frozen, these sweet minted peas are a celebration of the earth turning green again.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to color, about 3 minutes. Stir in peas, broth and sugar. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the peas are just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in mint and butter. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: One pound of peas in the pod yields 1 cup of shelled peas.
Per serving: 141 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv),
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable