Minted Peas & Shallots
Peas are high in fiber and a good source of other nutrients. They're also one of our favorite harbingers of spring. Whether you shell your own straight from the garden or go for the convenience of frozen, these sweet minted peas are a celebration of the earth turning green again.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to color, about 3 minutes. Stir in peas, broth and sugar. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the peas are just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in mint and butter. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: One pound of peas in the pod yields 1 cup of shelled peas.
Per serving: 141 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv),
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable