Minted Peas & Shallots
Peas are high in fiber and a good source of other nutrients. They're also one of our favorite harbingers of spring. Whether you shell your own straight from the garden or go for the convenience of frozen, these sweet minted peas are a celebration of the earth turning green again.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to color, about 3 minutes. Stir in peas, broth and sugar. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the peas are just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in mint and butter. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: One pound of peas in the pod yields 1 cup of shelled peas.
Per serving: 141 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv),
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable