Minted Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta, made bright and savory here with fresh mint and chicken broth.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups orzo
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- Bring broth to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add orzo and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup simmering broth to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly with a long-handled spoon, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a simmer. Continue cooking and stirring, adding broth 1 cup at a time, until orzo is tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes total. Season with pepper, stir in mint and serve.
Per serving: 199 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999