Minted Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta, made bright and savory here with fresh mint and chicken broth.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups orzo
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- Bring broth to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add orzo and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup simmering broth to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly with a long-handled spoon, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a simmer. Continue cooking and stirring, adding broth 1 cup at a time, until orzo is tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes total. Season with pepper, stir in mint and serve.
Per serving: 199 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1999