Minted Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta, made bright and savory here with fresh mint and chicken broth.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups orzo
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- Bring broth to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add orzo and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup simmering broth to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly with a long-handled spoon, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a simmer. Continue cooking and stirring, adding broth 1 cup at a time, until orzo is tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes total. Season with pepper, stir in mint and serve.
Per serving: 199 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999