Minted Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta, made bright and savory here with fresh mint and chicken broth.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups orzo
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- Bring broth to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add orzo and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup simmering broth to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly with a long-handled spoon, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a simmer. Continue cooking and stirring, adding broth 1 cup at a time, until orzo is tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes total. Season with pepper, stir in mint and serve.
Per serving: 199 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999